Materials competence with innovative strength
Aluminium and magnesium are the construction materials for the intelligent development of lightweight components.
We process all popular aluminium alloys at our four production locations in Biberach, Annaberg, Košice and Tianjin. At our new magnesium production facility in Biberach, we additionally use special magnesium alloys.
Additional alloys on demand
Handtmann alloy table
Information on the mechanical characteristic values and the alloy compositions can be found in our Handtmann alloy table.
Handtmann avails itself of innovative means, especially in the technology sector. The materials testing and validation always ensures the flawless quality of our products.
- Computed tomography CT
We have a state-of-the-art inline CT system for the non-destructive 3D component characterisation of light metal alloy workpieces. This method not only allows automatic in-process inspection of cast parts for three-dimensional detection of defects within a short time, but also to monitor custom defect characteristics
- X-ray inspection (2D)
- Three-dimensional analysis of surface profiles and roughness by means of structured light projection
- Eddy current testing (layer thickness measurement)
- Fluorescent dye penetrant testing
- Dye penetrant testing
Compliance with and fulfilment of specifications requires the correct chemical composition of the components. This is achieved through continuous analysis of the melts as well as incoming checks.
For this purpose, we have state-of-the-art simultaneously measuring spectral analysis devices for the analysis of Al, Mg, and Fe materials.
Metallographic examination methods are used for qualitative
and quantitative assessment in the process check and monitoring,
damage examination as well as in the development of technical materials.
- Structural evaluation
- Pore analysis
- Quantitative image analysis
- Layer thickness measurement
- Fracture surface evaluation
- Inspection of welded joints
Service life testing of safety-related components
- Creation of Wöhler curves for component characterisation as an essential quality feature for the component release
- Design and realisation of appropriate and meaningful test methods
Methods that meet the requirements for determining the technical cleanliness are used for monitoring the washing processes in production.
- Spraying / Flushing / Shaking / Ultrasonic
- Gravimetric analysis
- Photo-optical analysis (particle size distribution)
- SEM / EDX for material classification
Environmental simulations are mostly used in development for the testing of material combinations, system components and coating systems, but also for checking reliability and for the quality assurance of existing components.
- Salt spray testing
- Cold tests
- Condensation water constant climate and condensation water alternating climate test
- Heat tests
- Constant climate
- Alternating climate, also for plastic-metal compounds
Static materials testing is required within the scope of process monitoring to ensure compliance with specifications as well as to obtain characteristic values from new methods, materials and systems.
- Tension and compression tests
- Component testing
- Hardness testing on metals according to Brinell, Vickers and Rockwell
- Bending and folding tests
- Erichsen cupping testing
- Shearing tests
- Shifting force
- Thread stripping test
- Development of component-dependent test methods
- Microhardness testing